I admit it: there’s few things in the world cuter than a baby digging into a cake on his birthday. But no matter how cute it looks in photos, if you have been carefully introducing healthy foods into your baby’s tummy & then shock their bodies with large amounts of refined sugar, you might not end up with a happy birthday after all. (Nobody likes a tummy ache!)
I combined a few different recipes & made a few changes of my own to create a smash cake that made cute pictures & kept Cole smiling all day. Enjoy!
You will need:
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- 4 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup organic cinnamon applesauce
- 1 large cage-free brown egg
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon (ground, to taste)
- 3 mini bundt pans
- 1 package organic dark chocolate chips
- 1 can organic unsweetened coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all cake ingredients in a food processor & blend on low until mixed well.
- Separate into mini bundt pans, place in oven & bake for 20 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.)
- While cake is baking, pour chocolate chips in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Open the can of coconut milk, and drain all liquid, leaving only the creamy “cream cheese texture-like” coconut milk. Add to saucepan.
- Stir until it all chocolate chips are melted.
- Pour frosting into a quart-sized ziplock bag & place in freezer to harden. (Should take around 30-45 minutes.)
- After reaching a more frosting-like texture, place in refrigerator.
- Cut a small corner, and pour frosting in a lace design over the cake (as shown in the picture above.)
- Get a camera ready, make sure your child is dressed to get messy, and make some memories!
Happy birthday from my little one to your little one!